Upcoming Workshop: Saturday, March 4, 1-4 pm,
Location: Good Shepherd On The Hill, 1700 Woodland Avenue, Austin 78704
Cost: by donation
We offer a variety of events to educate about Home Funerals and Green Burials. If you would like to be informed about upcoming events, please email to let us know.
- Informal one-hour gathering hosted once a month in Austin, to discuss a variety of topics and answer questions of those in attendance related to home funerals, family-directed funerals and natural burial. We discuss funeral options that are environmentally considerate, reflect personal values, and and make economic sense. Visit webpage to sign up for Meetup notifications.
- Donna and Sandy hold workshops several times a year at various locations around Austin. Make sure you are on our mailing list if you would like to be notified of these events. Video of workshop_10-24-15
- They are available for private instruction as well if you would like to arrange a workshop for your friends and/or family. Travel to other locations is possible, if travel expenses are reimbursed.
- A $15-$20 donation is requested for attending workshops, but no one is ever turned away. The donation help to cover expenses incurred in doing this work, but letting people know about home funerals is the main priority.
(3-4 hours) This is a hands-on, experiential workshop where we practice providing after-death care to a body (a volunteer who acts as the deceased) and an in-home vigil. We will discuss what is required in terms of supplies and how to go about the step-by-step process. We allow plenty of time to have all your questions answered. Join us to learn:
- What is a home funeral like?
- Is it legal?
- Is embalming necessary?
- What paperwork is required?
- What do I do when someone dies?
- Is this a good fit for my family?
- How can friends, family and community be involved and supportive?
- What is a green burial?
- Where are the green burial cemeteries in the area?