Welcome to our site about Texas Home Funerals. You will be happy to learn that home vigils and funerals are perfectly legal in Texas. There are laws to follow and forms to fill out, but more and more families are finding this a viable alternative to modern funerals.
Home funerals or family-based funerals are enjoying a revival because people find an advantage to them. Below is a short (5 min) CBS report about home funerals.
More and more articles are appearing about them and recently an article appeared in the Washington Post about the surprising advantages of a home funeral. Below are some reasons why families choose home funerals.
Advantages of Home Funerals
- Family is in control of every aspect of the process so there are no surprises, no hidden fees.
- Family members and friends feel useful when they have tasks to do and know that they are caring for their loved one themselves.
- Tasks are carried out at the family’s pace, in the family’s own way.
- There is time to sit quietly with a loved one during an at-home vigil. People find that having this time helps in the grieving process.
- The costs are usually much less expensive (thousands of dollars) than a modern funeral.
- The home vigil is a loving and tender process where children as well as elders can be as involved as they want to be. This has the possibility of impacting people’s attitude about death for generations to come.
Although there are profound advantages to a home vigil and funeral, there are some cautions. You need a community of people to help with the tasks. It is not realistic for one or two people to think they can handle everything by themselves. For example, just to carry a body takes 4-6 people. Also, there are laws that must be followed and because home funerals are relatively new in some areas even the “officials” aren’t up to date on the rights of families. Luckily, this website helps with that!